Monday, October 13, 2014

Summary of Summer 2014

Wow...it has been months since I have posted anything!  We have enjoyed a busy summer and our fall has also started off with a bang, leaving us barely able to catch our breaths by the weekend before a new week begins.  I guess this is why almost every single elderly patient I have that has asked about my kids has given a wistful smile and imparted the wisdom of, "Enjoy it....it goes fast".  I get it know.  It does go fast....too fast.
 
I am very grateful to both of my parents for having a stay-at-home mom that allowed us to have the traditional summers of sleeping in and playing every day in the comfort of your own home as opposed to being stuck in a daycare.  While I can not be a stay at home mom myself (for MANY reasons), I still felt that it was important for Avery to have a clear break from school before going back to more school in the fall. I was very happy to book a babysitter for the kids for the three days that I work each week.  They enjoyed playing outside (when it wasn't scorching hot), taking walks, and playing with Miss Rachel. And on the days that I was at home, it is easy to sum up the time that we spent together: the kids and I LIVED at the pool.  We were there almost every single Monday and Tuesday, as well as on the weekends.  I wanted to get the kids formal swim lessons this year, but that never got off the starting blocks.  But no worries, as Avery did his own thing.  In typical Avery style, every time we went to the pool, he would push his comfort zone just a little bit and test out a new skill.  He started off the season wearing his floaties and he ended the season with jumping into the five foot deep end and either swimming to the ladder or swimming all the way across the length of the pool (with mom right there, of course).  Kayla was adamant about wearing her pink butterfly floaties all summer along with not putting her face in the water, so I guess next summer those swim lessons will have to be a priority.
 
 


 
 
 
 
When the pool got boring (for me), we went a couple of times to the waterpark on their discounted days, which is a great place to wear out a group of kids for a reasonable amount of money.  There are lots of great areas in this waterpark, but it is impossible to take pictures of kids while making sure they don't drown.  This was the best I could manage.
 
 
 
We celebrated the 4th of July quietly, sitting and rocking on our front porch while enjoying the neighbors' fireworks shows.



Also during the summer, Kayla and Phil enjoyed some much needed father-daughter time while hiking at a beautiful nature park.
 
On rainier or overcast days, we enjoyed general silliness while making trips to the outlet mall and Target.
 
 
And on one rainy Tuesday, the kids and I checked out a huge trampoline center, called SkyZone.  My personal opinion: way too much money for younger kids.  But they still had a blast.


When it wasn't too sweltering in the afternoons (ha, yeah right), we would occasionally go for walks or ride our bikes.


And as the summer came to an end, we finally visited the beach.  The best times to play on the beach are September through May.
All in all, we had a FABULOUS summer!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment