Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Era

"It's the end of an era!!", Rachel wails as Monica hugs and consoles her during a "Friends" episode where Rachel has finally accepted that Monica and Chandler are moving in together and she has to move out of the apartment that she cohabitated with Monica for six years. I, too, felt this way when my best friend, Martina, and I moved out for the final time after graduating college and took jobs in different states. But since becoming a mom, I have been muttering this phrase over and over since having Avery, and then Kayla. I have rejoiced over every new developmental milestone that each one has hit, but with each new skill comes the realization that they are getting farther and farther away from that 8 or 8 and a half pound baby that I held in my arms for the first time in the hospital. Lately, we seem to be going through a lot of "eras ending". For example, now that Kayla is sitting up and desperately trying to move closer to Avery during playtime, she has developed an intolerance for her bouncy seats. "No thanks, Mom", I hear in her wails of protest when I try to strap her into one of her three seats that keeps her restrained in a semi-reclined position. "I would prefer to be on the floor next to Avery pulling his hair!!". Don't get me wrong, I am excited to pack up these seats for potentially the last time and gain a little bit more space in my living room and bed room. But I also am saddened that my little girl is growing farther from the completely dependent stage of babyhood where as a parent, you know where your kid is at all times. Avery has also hit the end of several eras lately. He developed the skill (in his case, the courage) to climb out of his crib...oh yeah, and to open doors. These two tasks coincided quite nicely together, don't you think? Along with the more slender and elongated legs of a small boy (as opposed to the short and chubby legs of a toddler), Avery is growing up more and more every day. His "chores" that he is so excited to do include throwing items away in the trash can (he loves that he can open the pantry door now) and letting Haley in and out of the back sliding door. Pretty soon he will be going to preschool and hanging out at the mall with his friends and asking to borrow the car for prom night. Aggh! It's the end of an era! Where is my hug from Jennifer Aniston??



No comments:

Post a Comment