Sunday, September 9, 2012

Photo Shoot

When my brothers and I were little kids growing up in SmallTown, USA, my parents used to sit us down on this one particular floral couch that always smelled mildewy and was located on our screened-in front-porch-turned-greenhouse by my agricultureist of a father.  The three of us would sit smushed hip to hip on that couch and pose for what felt like hours with phony smiles on our faces while my dad would try to capture our "nicest" moment (read: fakest moment) on his 80's Olympus camera and my mom would stand behind him making faces at us and offering either threats or bribes in order to get us to behave for the half of a second it took for the shutter to click and document that one moment in time.  These photo sessions were horrible, in the perspective of young children who would much rather be out of their church clothes and running all over the neighborhood with their friends on that early Saturday morning.  I remember lots of yelling, pinching, elbowing, and ugly faces shared between us siblings until the dreaded annual Sattelmeyer Sibling photo session was over.  I swore I would never make my kids suffer like that just to get a picture of them.  Well, never say never.
 
Sattelmeyer Siblings sometime in the mid-eighties in Sebring, Ohio:

 
Jean Siblings August 2012 in Moncks Corner, SC:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment